Tuesday, October 21, 2014

SOME GOOD STUFF IS ON ITS WAY


Hi guys,

I came across this awesome book on the theory of watercolours. In this book, author explains the colours in great depth. He talks about the physics of primary, dichromatic secondary and trichromatic colours.  How colours in light are different from the colours in pigments. He shows how different combinations of just three colours can help you make 31 different colours (which I thought was just a hypothesis till today…lol). I am going to do that myself either tonight or tomorrow morning. He explains how the origin of primary colours was based on the study of an 18th century ophthalmologist. He talks about Le Blon’s invention of first colour printing using a set of different primary colours (as compared to the modern day printing colours) in early 18th century and how that invention influenced the warm flesh tones in the paintings of the artists of that time. How another chemist who worked with clothing dyes worked out “the theory of simultaneous contrasts”, that again influenced the painters of that time.
In the techniques part, that I just started, he gives a whole new insight into the simple and already known techniques, explaining the relationship between paper, water and different pigments. As I was practicing my brush strokes and was playing around a little, a little abstract patch in one tiny corner of my drawing sheet developed into a small, very plain painting… I just created it as I went along, without any pre-conception. I am posting it here. It should be considered as no more than a practice exercise for brush strokes and wet in wet painting colour technique- a kind of doodling in watercolours (I think that the inconspicuous magenta coloured house far, deep, in the centre of the painting is kinda cute.. lol).


Right now, I am a bit busy studying this new material and practicing a little. I will write the whole account of what I learnt, once I am done with my part of job here- some really good stuff is on its way. It might help you add a whole new dimension to your paintings if you are an amateur just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment